Thursday, March 10, 2011

London Loves



I have been lifted out of my melancholy fits by the fact that everyday, I love London more and more. The loneliness that plagued my nights still threatens to bother me, but I am having a great time and overcoming it. I'm listening to the Smiths and wondering how I got to be so lucky to have this opportunity.

The World Book night launch was wonderful! Authors and celebrities read excerpts from books, and there was plenty of free coffee to stave off the cold winds. The event was hosted by Graham Norton, and some of my favorite readers were Alan Bennett, Philip Pullman, and Nick Cave. I cheered quite loudly when Nick Cave came on stage, and was not surprised that he read an excerpt from Lolita by Nabokov. I had a great time, and I really felt like I was finally enjoying myself in London. Lucy was great company, and the whole day was the catalyst for my new look at my time here.

Claire arrived in London on saturday morning, and we found our way to Borough Market. We sampled so many delicious things, we didn't need to buy lunch! Highlights include cheese, cheese, preserves, cheese, granola, tea, and cheese. We then wandered around the area, along the Thames, and across Tower Bridge. Lorraine made a japanese feast for dinner, and we passed out quite early.

On sunday, Claire, my housemate Alice, and I went the the market on Brick lane at Truman Brewery. I really love the neighborhood, and despite the market crowds, we had a great time. We found my new favorite cafe, where I may have gone in on two separate occasions to have good coffee and enjoy the I-don't-give-a-shit-draw-on-the-wall ambiance with a side of Sonic Youth. We also got some beigels (not bagels) at Beigel Bake. There were a lot of local artists and vendors selling good vintage and baked goods galore. We ate in one of the food halls, where I was able to sink my teeth into one of the most delicious things I've had in a long time: vegetarian Okonomiyaki! If you've never had it, go now and find it, and good luck. I also bought about a thousand pears for 1 GBP. Claire insisted we stop by Speaker's Corner in Hyde park, where many people were ranting and raving, sadly mostly about Jesus.

The sun came out on monday and brought a bit of warmer air, so Claire and i hit Trafalgar square. We visited the National Gallery and the National portrait gallery, wandered around the neighborhood, and had tea in the crypt of St. martins-in-the-Fields. We sat in on half of Evensong at Westminster abbey. The men's choir sang in way that gave us shivers. I didn't want to stay for the whole service, but hearing the choir was pretty great.

A pilgrimage was made to Canterbury on tuesday. Lucy was hosting an event at Parrot Pub, Chatback Comedy, and we all piled into the car for a three hour drive. Claire and I handed out flyers and explored the city a bit, sneaking around Canterbury Cathedral and stealing rocks (that was me.) We ate dinner at the pub and shared a half-pint. I drank most of the Kentish ale. Dominator. The chef at the pub trained under Gordon Ramsay, and it showed in the food. We had a squash lasagna, which consisted of layers of squash, goat cheese, spinash, and balsalmic figs. And since it was Shrove/Fat tuesday/pancake day, we also shared a plate of crepes with sugar, lemon, cream, and ice cream. To say the meal was excellent is an understatement. The comedy show was great, and I nearly died laughing during the set of fellow American Robert Commiskey. It was a late night, since we didn't get back till after 2 AM, but a great night. I had to say goodbye to Claire, who was heading back to Philly. Having her here really helped kill the homesickness.

After not leaving the house yesterday, I decided to go out and catch a free movie at the South Bank center. The film was Marxism Today, by Phil Collins. It was an interesting film, presenting interviews with party members and teachers of marxism in the GDR and film footage. The film was followed with a recent lesson on Marxism by one of the women interviewed, and we watched it while sitting in school desks. I really enjoyed it, and I will need to research Phil Collins more. I browsed some of his photography books in the adjoining shop and was captivated. Afterwards, I went and got myself intentionally lost. I started at Picadilly circus, wandered into Chinatown, and after going to take some pictures of west end theaters, found myself in seven dials and Covent garden. I went to Neal's yard dairy and sampled some wonderful british cheeses. I want to go and live in the courtyard behind the Dairy and other shops, it was an almost magical place. I wandered a bit more, but eventually made my way home.

Each day, with every little adventure, I am falling in love with London. The next few weeks will be filled with excitement. I am going to Berlin on tuesday, only spending one night, but I am excited nonetheless. My classes start the following week, and my interview with Alexander McQueen for an internship is on the 22nd. I am nervous, excited, and ready to start!

Expect a picture post eventually, I promise I will get around to one.

Until then, here's Nick Cave, with Graham Norton in the background.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time in London! I feel the same way about Rome in terms of being too busy loving it to feel homesick. Sure, I have my moments when I wish I could share everything with others, or enjoy the comforts of home that I can't get here, but then I remember how lucky I am to be able to do this. It's a once in a lifetime chance to be able to travel and study in a different city. We're travellers, not tourists! :) We can become regulars at our favorite cafes, make friends, and see what the city is like in all kinds of weather. And I'm glad that you took the initiative to intentionally get lost. It's always a great idea.

    Keep updating and posting pictures!

    ReplyDelete