Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ich liebe Berlin!





I'm interupting my musings about London to make an announcement: I love Berlin. My one night there completely blew me away. I started falling in love with it as soon as I got on the S-Bahn from Schonefeld airport and started heading into Mitte. The city was such a mix of elements that I love: both industrial and beautifully ornate buildings, gritty street art and graffiti, modern buildings next to old ones, bridges and rivers, train tracks and trams, primary colors, history, weird structures, greenery, pretzels, good coffee, nice people, artists, an alternative scene, and so much more. I could go on and on.



Pictures don't do it justice. You really just have to go there and see it in person. I wandered around from the afternoon into evening, and seeing it at dusk was just breathtaking. Mike called me as I walked a river, near an area with many museums. I couldn't help but gush about how wonderful it all was. The city didn't feel as crowded and frenzied as most capital cities. It's a city with a checkered past, that has experienced so much in the previous century, and has become a modern place with a discernible alternative side. When I think about the atrocities that happened there, the ideologies that surfaced, and the insjustices of the past, I have a hard time placing it all in the context of the amazing city I had the pleasure to visit. I am not sure if I making much sense here at all. I just feel completely captivated by the city and something about it just clicked with me.



I found my way to Tacheles first, and if it was the only place I got to see in Berlin, I would have been happy. It is a building area occupied by a community of artists. You can see their work, buy pieces, have a drink, and disappear for a while. I bought a necklace made of forks and wandered around in awe. I would love to be part of a community like this, forget industry.

From there I wandered towards Alexanderplatz and got to observe some amazing views. I love to get a bit lost and find wonderful things, and I couldn't help but do so in Berlin!







I got back on the train and found my hostel. I stayed at Plus Berlin, and it was really wonderful. Clean facilities, great staff, and a good value overall. Best of all, it was located only a short walk away from the East Side Gallery, which is the longest remaining stretch of the Berlin wall. The wall is covered with different artwork, and really is like a gallery.


I then crossed the Oberbaum bridge into the Kreuzberg area. I browsed in a few shops, then had a fitting dinner: a veggie burger and a beer!


I would love to have more time to explore this area during the day, as there were many interesting shops and restaurants. I found more wonderful street art. including these great pieces:



I didn't want to stay out too late, alone, so I went back to the hostel, bought a kinder bar, and went to bed. I woke up early the next morning to catch one more glimpse of the wall, and attempt to get to the airport on time.


I also bought some pretzels (er bretzels) for the journey. Berlin is like the Philly of Europe. Yes, I understand that pretzels were brought to Pennsylvania by German immigrants, but this sounds cooler.

I am determined to make it back to Berlin before I leave here in june. It really had an effect on me I can't quite put into words. It was just fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment