Tuesday, August 16, 2011

To Market!

Summer in Philadelphia has been brutal. Long spans of days over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, crazy storms, and humidity that makes the air almost impossible to breathe. I've still found time (and a little bit of energy) to do things, however. I turned 21 and am now finally fully legal in my own country! Being in Europe, especially Belgium and Germany, helped me to develop a taste for good beer. The summer has been a whirlwind of hanging out with my boyfriend and friends, working a lot, drinking moderately, being far too hot, spending a lot of time in New Jersey (I know), and telling and retelling stories about my European adventures to everyone (only sometimes begrudgingly). I haven't done too many exciting things, though I have taken a few trips. A couple trips to NYC (one to meet up with Jay and see the McQueen Exhibit at the MET, well worth the 4 hour wait in line), a trip to Washington DC, and just this past weekend a relaxing camping trip with the boy and his friends in the Pine Barrens. It's been a low key summer, and a good recovery from the craziness of the spring. Classes start next week, and I'm both excited and frightened of the work load.

But, I digress. I fear that I have not talked enough about my trip, and posts have been sadly lacking. So, without further ado, I present to you a post about one of my favorite things about London (and Europe in general): markets!





While in London, I visited a good amount of markets, including Borough, Brick lane, Portobello road, Spitalfields, Camden, Church street, Marylebone, Angel, Exmouth,  and more. I loved Borough and Brick Lane especially, though each market had it's merits. A quick rundown:

Borough Market

An exquisite food market, where you can find all kinds of specialty products, including cheese, meats, and more. I would often be too full from sampling all the cheese, jams, and other veggie items to buy lunch there! Both a vegetarian and an omnivore can find so much to love there. The area is very old, located near London bridge and the river. The market itself is under bridges and overpasses, and has been there for years.






Brick Lane


Brick Lane market (and the surrounding area) was one of my favorite places in London. The vibe is great, and the market is fun. The old truman brewery buildings and surrounding streets house food stalls and vendors of all kinds, spilling out into the street. I loved to go early to shop for vintage and goods from local artists, then grab a cheap lunch, and finally a stop at Brick Lane coffee shop. The area already has a good selection of cool vintage stores and places to browse, great curry and Indian restaurants, and is only a short walk away from Spitalfields Market.

Spitalfields Market


Spitalfields is one of the oldest markets in London, and different days attract different goods. Thursdays boast a fabulous array of antique dealers, and I was able to score some Roman coins that had been excavated a few decades ago in London. On other days, lots of local artists sell their pieces, mixed in with the usual vintage.

Camden Market


Camden Market has different sections, situated along the Camden lock. Though a good portion of it caters to tourists, you can find some great pieces if you look hard enough (and avoid the crowds.) The Stables Market is particularly beautiful, and has some great shops and stalls. I liked to sit by the lock with a cup of coffee and cheap market food and watch what was going on.







Portobello Road


My advice: go early! I was able to find some cool pieces before the crowds took over from noon onward. It's probably the busiest and most popular of London's Markets. The area has become more and more gentrified in recent years, with lots of cute, colored houses. A portion is situated under the Westway. You can bet I was always humming the Clash and Blur songs under my breath. The market is huge, and has everything from food to antiques. And, of course, street performers.





There were many other markets in London, though these stood out in my mind. I also visited markets in Belgium and Berlin, where I found some amazing pieces. I tried to haggle, though it's not my forte. I have always loved flea markets, but the markets in London are so much bigger, better, and more frequent. We need to bring more market culture to the States!

Well, that's it for now. Another post will hopefully be up shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment