Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered

Over this past semester, I noticed a somewhat dark mood coming over my work. Not like my work wasn't dark already, but still. Perhaps it's from listening to so much Joy Division. or perhaps it's because my mind has been all over the place lately. In any case, I've actually enjoyed the work I produced. For my portfolio presentation in front of my Fashion Illustration class, I decided to make a mood board that summed up my 12 pieces. I feel like a few of the illustrations really fit in well with the theme.

First, the mood board.



I made that in gimp, which is like fake photoshop. I don't like using those programs, I much prefer to make them by hand, but I had to. 

And now for some illustrations!



I think this all comes from a combination of listening to Joy Division, Siousxie, and Nick Cave a lot. Also, because of the blogs I read. But it's actually very "on trend". A lot of designers have been inspired by so called "gothic" or dark themes for the fall. I took a lot of inspiration from Zana of Garbagedress as well as from the likes of certain musicians.




I did try to lighten the mood a bit in a few pieces, but that's another post for another time. I think my mood allowed for some interesting work, so perhaps it wasn't so dark after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment