Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blackbookbookblackshadowplay

It snowed quite a lot last night, and as a result I am stuck inside. Not to worry, I have found ways to be productive. Between searching for a residency in London, making soup, and drawing, I have kept busy.
Next week is the deadline for the Joe's blackbook  scholarship competition, and I have been planning to enter since I heard about it. I'm doing a menswear collection, spawned from my summer collection, "Shadowplay." Please enjoy a selection of images and videos that have served as inspiration for it all. Some are things I've posted already, but there are some new things thrown in. I will be working steadily on the collection - illustrations, trend board, etc. between work and room searching this week. Enjoy!


 Will be expanding from the looks here; The central figure was from my summer work, the other two were added in over the fall. Trying to explain that look during the crit, to a roomful of people who probably never listened to Joy Division was quite interesting. "Um, I was in a post-punk, industrial mood. It's something Ian Curtis of Joy Division would perhaps wear. They were a band... well anyway, yes. And there's a military theme as well, and I wanted to play with greys and blacks, the look of shadows. I'm marketing this to people who like this music.... uh, yes." Thankfully my good friend was an excellent model for me, because he fit in to the look. He's a wonderful artist himself:
http://alexwalcroft.blogspot.com

Anyway, continuing...

 Yes, yes. Joy Division. The collection is stemming from my "Shadowplay" collection, so what do you expect? Everytime I listen to these guys, my mind wanders and designs just seem to create themselves.



And how about some modern editorials and models? I am so glad I found a love for menswear, because it's really nice to break away from designing for women for a bit.


This is Jethro Cave, son of Nick Cave. Yes.

 
      
And of course, Nicholas Hoult, the british actor and sometimes model. He has a great look, and his photos are stunning.







Some more menswear....
Dior Homme, then Hermes



And hell, how about all of these photos by Hedi Slimane?
http://www.hedislimane.com/fashiondiary/index.php

Including:









I'll add more as I sketch and search. I want this to just grow out of my inspiration sources and be very strong. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kara, great stuff! You're so talented! I am so excited about you going to London. Yay! Take care and see you soon...Michelle

    ReplyDelete