Sunday, January 2, 2011

Memory in Revolt

When I design, my concepts are usually somewhat abstract. This usually means that when I am asked to describe my concept, I end up reciting a convoluted piece of prose. For my first project in my Fashion Design class this past semester, we were asked to design a 3 piece collection for a couture designer of our choice. We were to pretend we were working for them, and to adapt our own aesthetic to fit in with their repertoire. The choice of the designer was not hard for me. It is no secret that Vivienne Westwood is my favorite designer. To work for her would be a dream. So, after doing some trend research a looking through her back catalog, I came up with a concept: Memory in Revolt. What does that mean? Here's a bit of my thought process and what I tried to explain:
Memories are what we make them. Our perceptions can change our memories. What is real and what is imagined? We look to the past while we simultaneously try to subvert it. What if what we think we remember is just an illusion that our minds created? Our memories can become veiled and concealed, repressed, changed...

And so on.
And now on to the actual pieces. A mood board, a fabrication board, and illustrations with flats. My illustration style developed a lot over the semester, and these pieces look vastly different than my later work. I am really proud at how much I progressed. In any case, I still had fun with these. At least, I think I did... my memory could be wrong...



No comments:

Post a Comment